Eagle County chefs dine for deals too during off season
May 3, 2011
Among the many things that local residents look forward to come off season, restaurant deals is at the top of the list. We were curious about where our talented chefs dine at come May, when they (theoretically) have a little more time on their hands to get out of the kitchen and into other restaurant’s dining rooms. And of course, we wanted to know what food they’ve been craving as of late.
So we asked them. Read on to find out what they said, as well as what the restaurants who have remained open for offseason are offering as far as specials go.
Where he’d eat: “I don’t eat out much, but I would go to Zinos, or La Tour. Kelly Liken’s is very good. Larkspur is a favorite too.”
Out of town craving: “I’ve been craving a Country Sweet chicken sandwich with a wing and mac snack, and plenty of blue cheese dressing.”
• Vin 48: Get any large plate for $18 if you purchase a small plate.
• Larkspur: Currently closed; reopening for summer May 19.
Recommended Stories For You
• Restaurant Kelly Liken: Three courses for $45; 50 percent off selected wines.
• La Tour: 50 percent off entrees.
• Zino Ristorante: $33 three-course menu.
Where she’d eat: “Kelly Liken, Terra Bistro and I want to try a couple of the newer ones … Yama and Block 16.”
What she’s craving: “The only thing I really repeat order is cocktails. There is way too much good food to be had to order the same thing! I will certainly be having a frozen mudslide at the Bully Ranch this summer!”
• Terra Bistro: Three courses for $39.
• Bully Ranch: 25 percent off all food through June 10.
• Yama: Will reopen for lunch and dinner service on May 18.
• Block 16: Closed for offseason.
• Dish: $25 six-course tasting menu and $25 bottles of wine.
Where he’d eat and what he’s craving: “Larkspur’s carpaccio and foie gras torchon. Sweet Basil’s lamb T-bone.”
Out of town craving: “Roast dungeness crab with garlic noodles from Thanh Long Restaurant in San Francisco.”
• Sweet Basil: Reopening Friday for lunch and dinner; lunch entrees are $11.95, three-course dinner menu for $42.
• Game Creek Restaurant: Closed until June 23.
Where he’d eat and what he’s craving: “It has been a post-season tradition with my chefs to visit our neighbors at Montauk for some crab legs and oysters. Nothing beats simple food, done well.”
• Montauk: Opening soon with all entrees $25. Taking reservations starting May 6.
• Centre V: Closed for offseason.
• Tavern on the Square: Open for offseason.
Where he’d eat: “The restaurants I am heading to are vin48, dish, Juniper and Sweet Basil. I love tapas and small dishes; the more flavors I can try in one meal, the better!
Out of town craving: I have really been craving Indian and Thai lately. (I) had dinner in Chicago at Urban Belly (recently) and it was awesome; now I want more!”
• Flame: Three course $44 dinner menu and 25 percent off lunch.
•-Juniper: Closed until May 27.
Where he’d eat: “My current favorite is Blue Plate Bistro. When I go out I’m not interested in specials, just good honest cooking and friendly people. Ellie (in the dining room) and Adam’s cooking fits the bill for me! My other favorite place is Vin 48.”
What he’s craving: “I love his wienerschnitzel and his dinner rolls.”
• Splendido: Closed until June 3.
• Blue Plate Bistro: Closed until May 24.
High Life Editor Caramie Schnell can be reached at 970-748-2984 or firstname.lastname@example.org.