Bernard J. Smith1930-2016
February 29, 2016
Dr. Bernard J. "Doc" Smith, DVM, 85, died on Feb. 10.
He was born Oct. 2, 1930 in Leadville, graduating from Leadville High School in 1949. He received the degree of doctor of veterinary medicine in 1955 from Colorado Agricultural & Mechanical College.
Bernard married Carol Overmyer on Dec. 28, 1957. He was a third-generation rancher and built and operated the Leadville Veterinary Clinic from 1966-1982.
Appointed by Gov. Lamm to the Colorado State Soil Conservation Board, he served 1986-1993. The Lake County Soil Conservation District named him Land Owner of the Year in 2002 and Outstanding Supervisor in 2005. He was inducted into the Colorado Association of Conservation Districts Hall of Fame in 2009. He served as Upper Arkansas Watershed Association vice president from 1985-1990 and on the Upper Arkansas Watershed Council leadership committee until 1998. Because of his efforts with that organization's River Restoration Project, Lake County pioneered a non-litigious (memorandum of understanding) Natural Resources Damages Settlement process, the first in the country.
Bernard is survived by his sister Margaret Mary (Jim) Fassler, of Worland, Wyoming; wife, Carol; 11 children, 16 grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. For full obituary and arrangements, please visit http://www.baileykentfuneralhome.com
Trending In: Eagle Valley
- Russian spammers the likely source of fake email bomb threats, IT experts say
- Vail Resorts stock took epic tumble Friday
- Was that comment about ‘peasants’ riding the bus intended to be funny? (letter)
- Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats and Shakey Graves to headline Vail Snow Days
- Vail Resorts CEO Rob Katz gives $2 million in grants to support mental health programs