County Cops |

County Cops

Quick trip, quick stop

A deputy noticed a vehicle swerving in Gypsum, so he initiated a stop.

He approached the 32-year-old male driver, and advised him the reason for the stop. The man told the deputy that he was just running over to the market to pick up some stuff. He explained that he did not have a driver’s license because it had been revoked.

When the deputy ran the driver’s information, he found that his license was indeed revoked and that he was designated as a habitual traffic offender. The driver was placed under arrest.

Support Local Journalism

Tampered with truck

A 22-year-old Gypsum man called in to report that his truck had possibly been tampered with near his residence in Gypsum.

The man was calling from Grizzly Creek on Interstate 70 because his engine started to “knock.” He pulled over to check the engine and noticed the engine oil was completely empty. The man told the deputy that he changed his own oil, and the last time he had changed it was about a month ago.

The truck was taken to a shop in Gypsum. The deputy and man met the next day after the truck had been examined. The worker at the shop told the deputy that there was no oil in the truck, but there were no leaks or evidence of a ruptured seal or line. He estimated that the cost of a diesel engine replacement would be over $12,000. The deputy went to the man’s residence, and noticed a substantial oil stain on the lot where the man parked, opening the possibility that someone may have emptied the truck’s oil pan.

Suspects a burglar

A 43-year-old Dotsero man called to report a burglary at his residence.

The man told the deputy that someone had tampered with a safe that he keeps hidden in his closet. The safe was damaged. The man also told the deputy that he always keeps the doors and windows to the residence locked.

The man informed the deputy that he has video surveillance near his front door and that no one seemed to enter the house. He said that no valuables or money was stolen from the residence. The deputy observed no signs of forced entry or any other signs that someone had entered the house, and although there was expensive music equipment near the front door, it was untouched. Nothing was missing or stolen.

Since the man told the deputy that security of his house is a priority, the deputy suggested that the man speak with his six kids to see if they had any information. The man told the deputy that he had already done that, and that his kids had no information.

The safe damage amounted to approximately $100.

Wallet goes missing

A 20-year-old man called in to report that he had arrived at his friend’s house in Edwards for the holidays and was sleeping on the couch when another man showed up to “couch surf.”

The would-be couch surfer woke up the visiting man, but when the visitor attemped to talk to him he just stared at him until the visitor went back to sleep. When the visitor got up the next morning, the man who had showed up was gone, and the visitor realized that his wallet was also gone. Along with around $100 in cash, he had credit cards and his social security card in the wallet. He waited two days to call authorities because he didn’t want to wrongly accuse anyone of stealing his wallet.

The visitor said he was flying back to Georgia soon and he needed some form of identification to get on the plane. The deputy advised the man to fill out a TSA form and check on his credit cards.

When the deputy contacted the suspect, the man stated that he didn’t know anything about the missing wallet.

Support Local Journalism