Creosote-clogged chimney sparks fire in Eagle home | VailDaily.com

Creosote-clogged chimney sparks fire in Eagle home

Daily staff report
newsroom@vaildaily.com
Firefighters from Eagle and Gypsum responded to a single family home structure fire on Sylvan Lake Road south of Eagle.
Special to the Daily |

A wood-burning stove built up with creosote likely caused an early morning fire Friday.

Firefighters from Eagle and Gypsum responded to a single-family home structure fire on Sylvan Lake Road south of Eagle.

A crew led by Capt. Eric Mosher was the first on the scene and worked quickly to get the fire under control, said John Patterson, chief of the Greater Eagle Fire Protection District.

FIRE OUT IN TWO HOURS

Patterson said their first priority was preserving the property. The fire was out in about two hours.

There were no injuries.

While the cause of the fire remains under investigation, Patterson said it appears to have been caused by a wood burning stove with a buildup of creosote.

The stove and flue had not been professionally cleaned in more than three years, Patterson said.

Half of all home heating fires occur in December, January and February. A major factor is failure to clean chimneys, Patterson said.



Eagle Valley


See more