Eagle cemetery tour planned Oct. 8
September 21, 2016
EAGLE — Lizzie Hernage, the wife of an adventurous homesteader, drowned in the Eagle River in 1885 when a bridge collapsed as she was moving cattle over the Eagle River. Lizzie was the first person to be buried in Eagle's Sunset View Cemetery.
She now has plenty of company in the historic graveyard including miners, ranchers, community leaders and the victims of various tragedies.
Meet some of these early day characters and catch up on local history at the Eagle County Historical Society's Eagle Cemetery Tour planned Saturday, Oct. 8. Tours will feature local actors portraying some of the more notable cemetery occupants. Advance tickets are $15 for afternoon tours and $18 for after-dark tours. The price increases on the tour day. Sign up in advance at eaglecountyhistoricalsociety.com or call 1-800-838-3006.
Trending In: Eagle Valley
- Warning issued for Edwards residents after 8-10 mountain lions seen roaming neighborhoods
- O. J. Simpson spotted in Vail, posing for selfies
- Storm could bring up to 14 inches of new snow to Vail and Beaver Creek
- WATCH: Park City-area avalanche buries skier in harrowing backcountry episode
- Skier rushed from Beaver Creek, pronounced dead at 85