Eagle Fire responds to Thanksgiving Day house fire
Greater Eagle Fire Protection District
On the evening of Thanksgiving the Greater Eagle Fire Protection District was dispatched to a reported single family home structure fire on Lime Park Drive in Eagle.
In addition to Eagle fire’s initial response, Gypsum Fire Protection District, Eagle River Fire Protection District, Eagle County Paramedic Services and the Eagle Police Department were also dispatched to the fire. The county’s emergency automatic aid system provides immediate response from neighboring departments when there is a structure fire. Town of Eagle Public Works and Source Gas also assisted in the emergency efforts.
Due to the family quickly calling 911, local fire departments were able to arrive before the fire spread to the majority of the house.
Prior to the arrival of the fire departments, an Eagle Police officer used a fire extinguisher in an attempt to control the fire. The incident commander, Chief John Patterson of Eagle Fire, and the operations section chief, Chief Justin Kirkland of Gypsum Fire, quickly established command and organized the incoming engines, ladder truck and firefighters in order to efficiently extinguish the fire.
The fire started behind a built-in outside grill and extended into the wall that was adjacent to the grill. Because the wall was shared with the living room, fire was also active in the living room wall. The fire crew efforts kept the damage minimal and prevented further fire extension to other parts of the house. The fire was successfully extinguished and the damage was contained to the grill area and the wall. The home did suffer smoke damage. Minimizing property damage was the number one priority after extinguishing the fire. No injuries were reported.
The Eagle Fire Protection District, as well as other responding agencies, would like to share some helpful hints that are directly related to fire prevention and outdoor grilling:
Maintain and clean the grill.
Inspect the grill for problems – loose gas connections, gas leaks, holes that will allow hot charcoals to fall out.
Clean the inside of the grill. The cooking of food can quickly build several pounds of grease after just a few cookouts.
Do not leave the grill unattended.
Keep a fire extinguisher by the grill in case of an emergency.
Never put water on a grease fire – use a fire extinguisher.
Always turn off fuel supply when grill is not in use.
If using charcoal, be especially careful with the use of lighter fluid.
For any additional information or concerns, please contact your local fire department.
A local attorney said he sees similarities between last week’s chairlift death of a New Jersey man, and a case he won against Vail Resorts 20 years ago.