Home explosion in Eagle not caused by natural gas | VailDaily.com

Home explosion in Eagle not caused by natural gas

One taken to hospital

Emergency crews were called to this residence on Capitol Street in Eagle Tuesday afternoon on a report of a home explosion. The explosion blew out the front window at the home.
Special to the Daily

Emergency crews cleared the scene of a home explosion in Eagle around 4:30 p.m. and officials from Greater Eagle Fire Department say there the incident did not present an impending danger to neighboring properties.

“While the incident remains under investigation, we can confirm that it was not a natural gas explosion and there was no gas leak associated with the incident,” said Emily Marston, public information officer for Greater Eagle Fire.

The home is located in the 500 block of Capitol Street, across from the Eagle County Building. While Capitol was closed for more than three hours Tuesday, the street was reopened when crews cleared the scene.

The explosion was reported at 1:20 p.m. and there was no fire burning when the fire department arrived. According to witnesses on the scene, the front picture window at the home was blown out by the explosion.

Marston said one person was transported by ambulance to the hospital and a fire investigator remained on the scene throughout much of Tuesday afternoon. A social media post from Eagle Fire advised people to avoid the area while fire crews were on site, but stressed there was no immediate hazard.

Support Local Journalism

When the explosion was initially reported, residents around Eagle reacted with alarm after a natural gas explosion in September leveled a Gypsum home and claimed the life of a local woman. Marston said that is why the fire department wanted to stress that Tuesday’s incident was a very different situation and that it was not a natural gas explosion.

Crews work the scene of Tuesday’s home explosion in Eagle.
Special to the Daily

Support Local Journalism