1 YEAR AGO
Week of August 8, 2013
Marilene Miller, Eagle’s Town Clerk/Treasurer, retired after 37 years on the job.
Ed Hawkins bought Eagle County Bail Bonds, located at 850 Chambers Avenue in Eagle.
Rich Molinari took over as the new manager of the Eagle County Animal Services.
The town of Eagle welcomed new staff members Amy Cassidy, Jill Ewing and Matt Farrar.
5 YEARS AGO
Week of August 13, 2009
Eagle and Gypsum officials thought they had an opportunity to take control of Highway 6 long term maintenance, but that plan fizzled.
Local Mary Lou Yeik was launching her second annual school supplies drive.
Members of the Western Eagle Valley Rotary Club were treated to a special Eagle walking tour, presented by members of the Eagle County Historical Society.
An Avon resident was arrested and charged with felony cultivation of marijuana and felony possession of over 8 ounces of marijuana and was being held on a $7,500 bond at the Eagle County Detention Facility.
10 YEARS AGO
Week of August 13, 2004
The Enterprise’s cover featured longtime Eagle resident Glen Ewing’s story about his athletic path, which led to a shot at the 1980 Winter Olympics in the biathlon competition. Although Ewing’s dreams of Olympic glory came up just short, his lifetime of memories and lessons made for a great story.
A new store, the Rain Drop, opened in Eagle Ranch.
Fall sports practices for Eagle Valley High School were set to begin.
20 YEARS AGO
Week of August 11, 1994
The town of Gypsum annexed the 400-acre Cotton Ranch golf course and residential development.
Incumbent Eagle County Commissioner George “Bud” Gates won a primary election battle over challenger Chris Estes by four votes.
County officials were raising questions about the Adam’s Rib development, after discovering that four boxes of materials submitted as proof of “due diligence” on the 20-year-old project actually contained outdated reports and miscellaneous materials, such as Idaho tourist guides and hunting license applications.
The Forest Service was seeking input on its newly acquired, 128-acre Crooked Creek Ranch property, at the summit of the Crooked Creek Pass road on the Eagle-Thomasville Road.
The Colorado Division of Wildlife was using helicopters to trap and tag 75 elk near Shrine Pass. The DOW was monitoring the animals to assess the impacts of development in Bachelor Gulch.
30 YEARS AGO
Week of August 16, 1984
Marvin Hornbaker, owner of Reuben’s Restaurant in Eagle, was the successful bidder on the grand champion market beef at the Eagle County Fair.
Cable TV was hurting the ability of the Eagle Valley Television Corporation to collect dues for maintenance of the over-the-air television signal.
Eagle Valley Elementary School’s new addition, featuring six classrooms and a music room, was completed on time and under budget.
40 YEARS AGO
Week of August 15, 1974
Two years after expiration of their permit for the Eagle County Landfill (located on BLM land), the Eagle County commissioners were exploring the possibility of a consolidated facility that would serve Eagle, Pitkin, and Garfield counties.
The Colorado Division of Highways was visiting various communities seeking input on the design of Interstate 70 through Glenwood Canyon.
50 YEARS AGO
Week of August 13, 1964
Mr. and Mrs. Bill Stanley purchased the former Eagle River Electric building adjacent to their grocery store on Broadway in Eagle and were planning to expand the facility.
Mrs. Etta Rhoades of Burns and Billy Williams of Tuckahoe (at Edwards) were named queen and king of the 31st annual Pioneer Dinner.
At the 4-H Livestock demonstration contest, Lynn and Ron Dodo showed how to clip a steer for show; and Don Chambers demonstrated how to wash a dairy cow.
Mrs. Bertha Chockie was named president of the Colorado Extension Homemakers Council.
60 YEARS AGO
Week of August 12, 1954
A uranium strike was reported on the Orgish ranch near McCoy. That prompted a flurry of activity in which 68 mining claims were staked along the Colorado River in a two-day period. “Don’t tell me there isn’t a fever epidemic hereabout,” wrote Enterprise editor Marilla McCain.
The Standard Oil Company had moved rigs to the Castle Peak area to test for oil on land owned by Harry Benton, Ray Chatfield, and Hilliard Miller.
Logger Larry Engle escaped serious injury, when his logging truck rolled off the Coffee Pot Road after losing its brakes.
A Denver photo studio announced the winners of a local “Pretty Baby” contest: Jackie Rochford, Joetta Randall, and Katrina Oleson.
The State Highway Department was being blamed for a number of accidents on Highway 6 over Vail Pass. Some gooey oil had been spread over the road, but had not been followed with a load of gravel, as was typical.
70 YEARS AGO
Week of August 11, 1944
In service news, the Enterprise reported that Mrs. Nettie Eaton of Eagle had five grandsons serving in the armed forces.
A range fire on the ridge between Gypsum Creek and Cottonwood Pass was brought under control by a total of 70 firefighters from the Forest Service and from Camp Hale. A total of two square miles of sage and cedar range land burned.
80 YEARS AGO
Week of August 17, 1934
The Eagle County Republicans picked former district attorney Bill Luby as their candidate for judge of the Fifth Judicial District.
Federal inspectors approved the opening of the new highway and railroad underpass at Gypsum, which eliminated a dangerous railroad crossing.
The Eagle Valley Land Trust and Eagle River Watershed Council program adds 1% to purchases to fund preservation and conservation.