Underage driver crashes into Eagle Loaf ’N Jug
July 13, 2016
EAGLE — An underage driver mistook the gas pedal for the brake pedal and crashed through the front of the Eagle Loaf 'N Jug store last Sunday evening.
No one was hurt in the incident, but surveillance video shows the vehicle narrowly missing shoppers.
Crews from Eagle Police, the Greater Eagle Fire Protection District and the Eagle Ambulance were called to the scene at 7:45 p.m.
"We were fortunate that no one was injured, including the driver," said Eagle Police Chief Joe Staufer. "Had the crash occurred seconds earlier, we would have had a different outcome, as video revealed patrons, which included a child, walking past the front door of the store. "
Staufer noted that the vehicle also missed an adult male by only a few feet as he walked out of the store.
Recommended Stories For You
Eagle Police officers determined that when the underage driver mistook the gas pedal for the brake pedal, his vehicle jumped the curve, drove upon the sidewalk and through the front door of the Loaf 'N Jug, missing a patron by only a few feet. While there were no injuries, the crash sent glass and debris flying into the store.
Due to the extensive damage to the store, Loaf 'N Jug (normally a 24-hour business) had to cease business operations for the remainder of the evening to assess structural damage, remove glass from inventory and construct a temporary wall.
Charges are pending against the underage driver.
Trending In: Eagle Valley
- Vail Resorts, local business groups announce Merchant Pass options for 2018-19
- Skier captures early season Loveland Pass avalanche on video
- A community battles back: Vail rallies around rebuilding what terrorists destroyed in 1998 fire
- Bear sighting in Avon, video captured in resident’s backyard
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack