East Vail fire began in chimney | VailDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

East Vail fire began in chimney

Daily Staff Report
Preston Utley/Daily file photoVail fire fighters organize equipment after extinguishing a house fire Sunday night on Lupine Drive in East Vail. There were no injuries.
ALL |

VAIL ” Flames escaped from a chimney and sparked a fire that caused $500,000 to adjoining duplexes on Lupine Drive in East Vail Sunday night, the Vail Fire Chief John Gulick said Monday.

No one was injured, but the fire displaced 14 residents from the duplexes at 3887 Lupine Drive.

The outside of the duplexes were extensively damaged when the flames burned outside the chimney and penetrated the roof, lofts and outside walls, Gulick said.



The fire, which was reported by neighbors around 6:10 p.m., took about 25 firefighters from Vail and the Eagle River Fire Protection District 40 minutes to put out.

Firefighters are still investigating why the fire escaped the chimney.



But Gulick said the blaze should encourage residents to clean their chimneys twice a year or after three cords of woods are burned. Soot build-up called creosote can ignite in the chimney when it gets too hot, he said.

Chimney sweeps can look for creosote or other blockages, and also check for cracks in chimney pipes, Gulick said.

“As a preventative measure when burning wood in a fireplace or wood stove, it’s important to have a professional chimney sweep inspect and clean a chimney used on a regular basis,” Gulick said.



Vail, Colorado


Support Local Journalism