East Vail fire station renovation work honored by a construction trade journal
VAIL — The East Vail Fire Station renovation has been recognized with an Award of Merit for 2017 by the Engineering News-Record, a weekly publication that provides news related to the construction industry.
The station, located at 4116 Columbine Drive, was originally built in 1981. A $4.1 million renovation project was undertaken in 2016 and completed in March 2017. The project consisted of:
• The addition of one employee housing unit.
• The addition of 1,700 square feet of new space. The additional space provides much-needed storage as well as enlarged apparatus bays to better accommodate firefighting equipment.
• Installation of an emergency generator capable of maintaining the fire station in a fully operational condition during power outages.
• Use of wildland urban interface-compliant ignition-resistant materials on the exterior of the building.
• Landscaping which incorporates wildland urban interface best practices.
• Installation of a storm water treatment system.
• Replacement of all electrical, plumbing and mechanical systems.
In evaluating the station renovation, the judging team recognized the project for its storm water quality improvements, innovative use of space and sequencing the construction to allow continued fire department operations throughout the nine-month remodel.
Designed by Pierce Architects, the general contractor for the renovation was MW Golden Constructors. In addition, 36 subcontractors contributed to the remodel.
Fire Chief Mark Novak said the configuration of the station allows the firefighters of Vail Fire and Emergency Services to maintain a high level of service to the community.
With this recognition, all three of Vail’s fire stations have received awards for renovation, construction and design. The station at Main Vail was the recipient of a design award from the Fire Industry Equipment Research Organization in 2014. The West Vail station was awarded the Station Style Silver Award by Fire Chief Magazine in 2011.
Support Local Journalism
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Vail officials talk reservations, employee perks, recent layoffs ahead of Sept. 17 Epic Pass deadline
With Vail Resorts Sept. 17 pass purchasing deadline looming, those considering the Epic Pass for this season are weighing their options.