Electrical fire at Safeway in West Vail causes brief closure
VAIL — Crews from Vail Fire and Emergency Services were dispatched to the Safeway grocery store, 2131 North Frontage Road in West Vail, at 1:20 a.m. today following the report of a structure fire in the store. Upon arrival, responders found the store full of smoke and approximately 10 employees standing outside the building after evacuating themselves from the store.
Upon further inspection, responders found that a food cooking appliance in the deli had a short in the wiring, which caused the equipment motor wiring to throw sparks. Power was cut to the appliance and the small fire was quickly extinguished by an employee with a nearby fire extinguisher.
This morning’s opening of the store was delayed for several hours while smoke was cleared from the building and the electrical problems were addressed. Damage is estimated at $1,500. There were no injuries to either store employees or fire personnel.
Responding agencies included Vail Fire and Emergency Services, Eagle River Fire Protection District, Vail Police, Eagle County Paramedic Services and the Vail Public Safety Communications Center.
Support Local Journalism
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User