Fire crews help save 130-year-old Montezuma home
Vail, CO Colorado
Crews from Lake Dillon Fire-Rescue and a quick-thinking resident doused an early morning house fire in Montezuma Tuesday, sparing the remote 130-year-old structure from further destruction.
Fire crews were called out at 2:17 a.m. to the blaze at 5534 Montezuma Road, where they found flames shooting out of the roof next to the chimney of the modified log cabin. One resident there had been fighting the flames with a garden house and was running out of well water when Lake Dillon firefighters arrived to take over.
After a house burned to the ground in Montezuma last month – in part because a water-intake valve for the town’s fire-hydrant system had frozen – firefighters immediately called for a 1,250 gallon water truck known as a “tender” and requested a backup tender from the Red, White and Blue Fire Department in Breckenridge. In all, 17 firefighters used four engines and two tenders to extinguish the fire.
An investigation later on Tuesday indicated that the fire started in the chimney chase of a wood-burning stove. No one was hurt in the blaze, which was confined to the upstairs bedroom, chimney chase and rafters of the home. Damage was estimated at $40,000.