Fire damages Ritz-Carlton’s chimney in Bachelor Gulch
Bachelor Gulch, CO Colorado
BACHELOR GULCH, Colorado “-A chimney fire quickly extinguished by firefighters damaged a portion of the chimney at the Ritz-Carlton Bachelor Gulch, Colorado on Wednesday.
Flames were see coming from the roof but by bystanders called 911. The Eagle River Fire Protection District responded with 18 firefighters, 3 engines and 1 ladder truck.
The fire, which did less than $5,000 and caused no injuries, was put out by firefighters who got on the roof and cooled the area with with water-based extinguishers and by removing some of the material that was burning.
Fire Chief Charlie Moore said that “the fire was brought under control as soon as we were able to put firefighters on the roof and cool the area down.
“The area above the chimney flue ignited, probably from a buildup of creosote,” Moore said.
“The roof of this building is quite steep, so we have to secure the firefighters with safety lines before we can begin suppressing the fire,” he added. “Even with the flames coming off of the chimney, there was little chance of the fire spreading to the roof because of the non-combustible roof tiles on this particular building.”
There were no guests staying at the hotel, which closed Tuesday. Firefighters were assisted by hotel staff and were on the scene for two hours.
Support Local Journalism
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User