Fire danger leads to laptop battery recall
IRVINE, Calif. ” Lithium-ion battery packs shipped with some Gateway Inc. notebook computers pose a fire danger, leading to a voluntary recall Tuesday by Gateway and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
The battery packs can overheat and pose a fire hazard, the commission said in a news release. Gateway has received four reports of battery packs overheating, including minor property damage.
No injuries were reported.
About 14,000 battery packs shipped as the primary or spare power sources for some Gateway 400VTX and 450ROG series notebooks, and identified by part number 6500760 or 6500761 were recalled.
The part number and “made by SMP” are printed on a label on the underside of the battery pack. This is not an internal battery cell defect, the commission said.
Support Local Journalism
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User