Fire Restrictions for Eagle County – Summer 2005
Sheriff Hoy Places Fire Restrictions in Eagle County
The Office of the Sheriff, in a cooperative effort with local fire Authorities to prevent the possibility of potential wildland fires, has placed restrictions on open burning.- Eagle County Sheriff Joseph Hoy has placed restrictions on open burning on non-federal lands in Eagle County, beginning at midnight, July 19, 2005.
Due to warm and dry weather patterns, all fire protection agencies are supporting the decision to place restrictions in effect for Eagle County. With the fire danger remaining high to extreme in our communities, the concerns of the Fire Districts and Chiefs are that any fire in these conditions could jeopardize lives.
The following acts are prohibited until further notice:
1. Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, coal or wood burning stove, any type of charcoal fueled broiler or open fire of any type in undeveloped areas.
2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, in a developed recreation site or while stopped in an area at least 3 feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable vegetation.
3. Using explosive materials: (i.e.: fireworks, blasting caps or any incendiary device which may result in the ignition of flammable material.)
4. Welding or operating acetylene or other similar torch with open flame outside of a building.
5. Operating or using any internal combustion engine without a spark arresting device properly installed, maintained and in effective working order meeting either:
a. ——- Department of Agriculture, Forest Service Standard 5100-1a;— or
b. ——- Appropriate Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) recommended practice J335 (b) and J350 (a).
1.—– Persons with a written permit specifically authorizing the otherwise prohibited act or omission.
2.—– Fires in constructed, permanent fire pits or fire grates within developed recreation sites.
3.—– Any Federal, State, or local officer or member of an organized rescue or firefighting force in the performance of an official duty.
4.———- Mechanical stoves and appliances fueled by bottled or liquid gas which allow the operator to control or extinguish the flame with a valve are permitted provided that such devices are approved by Underwriters Laboratory Inc.
Please feel free to call or contact our office or your local fire authority with any questions regarding the fire restrictions.
For More Information: all phone numbers are in the 970 area code
Eagle River Fire Protection District————– —- —————- 748-9665
Basalt and Rural Fire Protection District—- ———– ———– 704-0675
Greater Eagle Fire Protection District——— ——— – ———– 328-7244
Gypsum Fire Protection District——————————————- 524-7101
Vail Fire and Emergency Services—————————————- 479-2250
Vail Communication Center————————— ———– ———– 479-2200
Eagle County Sheriff’s Office————————————- —– —– 328-8500
BLM Office, Glenwood Springs ——————————————— 947-2800
USFS Office, Eagle——————————————————————- 328-6388
USFS Office, Minturn————————————————————— 827-5715