Fire scorches Edwards church basement | VailDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Fire scorches Edwards church basement

J.K. Perry

EDWARDS ” Combustible vapors from rags placed near a boiler at Gracious Savior Lutheran Church in Edwards ignited Thursday morning, causing an estimated $25,000 in fire damage to the church’s basement, the Eagle River Fire Protection District reported.

Firefighters suspect cleaning solvents on the rags were set aflame sometime before 2:45 a.m. by the boiler flames, damaging the boiler, electrical system and radiant heat system in the ceiling above, Fire Chief Charlie Moore said.

“Fire prevention 101, you don’t store combustible materials near boilers,” Moore said.

The building was unoccupied at the time of the fire.

The fire was contained to the room and extinguished by 4 a.m. Moore said the activation of the fire alarm and firefighters’ swift arrival kept damage to a minimum.

Services at the church will not be disrupted, Pastor Dan Rohlwing said.

“Fortunately we had a great heat detector that detected the fire,” Rohlwing said. He added there would be “no more rags by the boiler.”

Staff Writer J.K. Perry can be reached at 949-0555, ext. 14622, or jkperry@vaildaily.com.

Vail, Colorado


Support Local Journalism


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User