Firefighters tackle Edwards blaze
Vail CO, Colorado
EDWARDS, Colorado ” Firefighters quickly extinguished a small blaze Wednesday evening at a water treatment facility in Edwards.
Officials responded to a report of dark smoke coming from the Edwards rest stop at 5:32 p.m. Upon arrival, fire officials discovered 4-foot flames coming from an electrical generator connected to the exterior of the Upper Eagle Regional Water Authority plant.
Firefighters had the blaze out in 10 minutes, according to acting Eagle River Fire Protection District Lt. Ryan Riggins.
Riggins said the generator was a complete loss. No one was injured as a result of the fire and no other structures were damaged.
The exterior of the facility ” which supplies drinking water to the Edwards area ” is concrete and was never threatened, Riggins said.
Water authority General Manager Dennis Gelvin said the fire will not affect operations at the plant. The generator would have only been used during a power outage, he said.
“The plant was running normally when we arrived,” Gelvin said. “This won’t affect our customers.”
Gelvin said he thought it could cost up to $1 million to replace the generator.
Eighteen firefighters and two engines responded to the blaze, Riggins said.
Support Local Journalism
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User