Fires planned in Eagle County, region
Vail, CO Colorado
COLORADO, Colorado ” Federal officials are planning several prescribed burns in Eagle, Garfield, Pitkin and Rio Blanco counties.
The goal of the prescribed burns is to clear out the dead and dying trees and brush that can fuel wildfires. That should also encourage new plants to grow, providing animals with better food.
The burns will be conducted between mid-April and the end of May when weather conditions allow in the following areas:
The following prescribe burns will occur in the area, according to the BLM:
– The Derby prescribed burn is six miles west of Burns and 15 miles north of Gypsum. Approximately 300 acres of White River National Forest lands will be burned. For additional information contact Eric Rebitzke, 328-5892.
– The 1,390-acre Sweetwater burn is 10 miles northwest of Dotsero on BLM and White River National Forest lands. For additional information contact Eric Rebitzke, 328-5892.
– The Prince Creek prescribed burn is four miles south of Carbondale and involves approximately 195 acres of Bureau of Land Management land. For additional information contact Ody Anderson, (970)947-2810.
– The 1,200-acre Coulter Mesa burn is planned on White River National Forest and BLM lands 13 miles northeast of Rifle. For more information, contact John Seemann, (970)878-6018.
– The 1,500-acre Snell Rock burn is located 20 miles northeast of Meeker on White River National Forest lands. For more information, contact John Seemann, (970)878-6018.
Support Local Journalism
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User