Free bike registration in Lionshead Saturday
Vail, CO Colorado
VAIL, Colorado – The Vail Police Department will be sponsoring free bike registrations from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday near the Eagle Bahn Gondola (No. 19) in Lionshead. Members of the Vail Police Department Volunteers will be on hand with information on bike safety, trail maps and other registration resources. The registration process adds a bike’s identification number to a countywide database and provides the recipient with a registration decal to be placed prominently on the bike to help deter theft.- Other tips offered by the department to prevent theft include:
• Record your serial number.
• Save your receipt.
• Engrave a number on the frame of your bike.
• Always lock your bike when left outside, even when you’re going to run inside for only a few seconds.
• Use a U lock; most cable locks can be easily cut.
• Lock your bike to a non-movable structure.
• Make sure to put a lock through a closed part of the frame.
• Avoid leaving your bike locked up on the street or in a rack overnight.
Bike thefts are usually crimes of opportunity. By registering your bike, you can help deter a bike from being stolen and aid in recovery in the event your bike does get stolen. Bike registration can also be done online at http://www.vailgov.com on the police department page. The department also registers skis, snowboards, kayaks other recreation equipment. For details, contact the police department at 970-479-2208.
Support Local Journalism
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Due to budget shortfalls, Vail Resorts has pulled this winter’s funding for its cloud seeding program — the longest-running in the state at 44 years — potentially reducing the amount of water flowing down the…