Fundraiser for Vail teen battling cancer Friday
Vail, CO Colorado
VAIL – There is a fundraiser today on Vail Mountain for Thomas Walsh, a Vail teen battling cancer.
A scavenger hunt, ski races and other family-friendly activities will raise money for his medical costs, event organizer Chris Wright said.
Walsh, 16, has been diagnosed with a type of cancer called Ewing’s sarcoma. The cancer has spread to his lungs, Wright said.
Thomas won’t be able to make it to the fundraiser because he is starting a round of treatment in Boston, she said. Walsh is a freshman at Vail Mountain School.
“I’ve known Thomas since he was 2 years old,” Wright said. “He’s an amazing teen. He’s an outstanding student. He’s a gifted athlete. He just is an incredible young person and I think the Vail Valley community should reach out to help him in his fight against cancer.”
Wright said she hopes to raise $150,000.
“That might be a steep goal but I’m hoping to raise as much money as I can for Thomas for his medical trust, to help defray his costs,” she said.
Vail visitors who want to help Walsh but can’t make it to the entire fundraiser have a few options.
People can stop by the NASTAR hut to make a donation and take a run on the course. Those who can’t get to the mountain can mail a check.
The event is part of the Alpine Children’s Charity’s sixth annual Cruisin’ for Kids ski-a-thon. Proceeds also flow to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, The Children’s Heart Foundation, Bear Necessities Pediatric Cancer Foundation and the Red Ribbon Project: AIDS Awareness for Youth.
• 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.: Registration, donuts and coffee at the Red Lion, located at 304 Bridge Street (Late registration will also be available at the top of the Black Forest Race Arena.)
• 8:30 a.m.: Mountain opens
• 9:15 a.m. to noon: Scavenger hunt
• 11:45 a.m. to 1:15 p.m.: Lunch and mandatory picture at the Black Forest Race Arena
• 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.: Afternoon races at the Black Forest Race Arena
• 3 p.m. to 4 p.m.: Free ski
• 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.: After party at the Sonnenalp
Cost: Suggested $100 donation
Send checks to:
Alpine Children’s Charity
po drawer 2770
avon colorado, 81620
• indicate “for Thomas Walsh” in the memo field
More information: Contact Chris Wright at 970-390-2725 or Cindy DeTrempe at 847-828-0818
Staff Writer Sarah Mausolf can be reached at 970-748-2928 or firstname.lastname@example.org.