Furnace fire chars home
A faulty furnace is being blamed in a structural fire that destroyed a home Monday at the Eagle River Village Mobile Home Park in Edwards.
No one was hurt in the fire, which was discovered by a friend of the home’s residents shortly after 10 a.m.
Firefighters from the Eagle River Fire Protection District found smoke pouring from the home’s windows when they arrived at the scene. The fire was extinguished in minutes and a search team determined that the home was unoccupied at the time the fire broke out.
“The smoke was so thick that all we could do was rely on the sensation of touch to try and figure out if someone was still in there,” said search team member Lt. Erin Lamb.
A joint cause investigation conducted by the Eagle County Sheriff’s Office’s Detective Mike McWilliam and Eagle River Fire Marshal Carol Mulson showed fire was caused was a malfunctioning furnace.