Gas leak causes fire in West Vail | VailDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Gas leak causes fire in West Vail

Chris Outcalt
coutcalt@vaildaily.com
Vail, CO Colorado
Kristin Anderson / Vail DailyVail firefighters work to extinguish a fire at the Chamonix Chalet housing complex in West Vail.
ALL |

VAIL, Colorado ” A gas line break sparked a small fire Monday morning outside the Chamonix Chalet housing complex in West Vail, Colorado.

An Xcel Energy crew was working in the area when a gas line broke, leading to a small lamp catching fire near the Chamonix Chalet “E” building. Vail Fire Marshal Mike Vaughn suspected the leak was caused by the Xcel crew.

The fire was about 30 feet from the housing building and right next to a tree and a few cars. No one was in the building when the fire started.



The Vail Fire Department responded to the fire at about 9:30 a.m. Crews couldn’t put the fire out because it would allow the gas to leak through the neighborhood, Vaughn said. Instead, fire officials contained the fire and waited for Xcel to shut off the gas line.

“We’re better off letting it burn off,” Vaughn said.



Joel Cervantes, who lives across the street from where the lamp caught fire, said he came home from work Monday morning and heard the hissing of the gas leak.

“I called 911 and started knocking on some doors,” Cervantes said.

Fire crews were still working to contain the fire Monday morning while Xcel tried to shut the gas line off.



Staff Writer Chris Outcalt can be reached at 970-748-2931 or coutcalt@vaildaily.com.


Support Local Journalism