Gas leak clears Beaver Creek hotel
Vail, CO Colorado
BEAVER CREEK, Colorado ” Some ice that fell from a roof of Westview Lodge and broke a gas meter led to the evacuation of 35 people about 3 p.m. Tuesday.
Some people saw the ice fall on the meter outside the Beaver Creek Village hotel, heard hissing from gas coming out of it and called 911, said John Willson, deputy chief of operations for the Eagle River Fire Protection District.
Firefighters evacuated people in the hotel to a nearby hotel lobby, Willson said. The combination of an “ignition source” ” such as someone lighting a cigarette ” and gas could have caused an explosion, he said.
“That’s the primary reason we evacuated the building,” he said.
People returned to the Westview Lodge about 5 p.m. as workers from Xcel Energy were fixing the leak, he said.
Staff Writer Steve Lynn can be reached at 748-2931 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support Local Journalism
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
A Nov. 30 to Governor Polis and the Eagle County Commissioners from Beaver Creek Resorts Company – as well as the towns of Vail, Avon, Eagle and Minturn – requests a variance program which would allow businesses to remain open.