Gas leak in Vail forces 80 people to evacuate
At approximately 6:45 p.m. on Monday, emergency responders were called to the scene of a natural gas leak at 1546 Matterhorn Circle in Vail. Approximately 80 people were evacuated, according to a town of Vail news release, including occupants of the Eagle Point Condominiums as well as most homes on Matterhorn Circle.
Xcel Energy was on scene assessing the situation and working to repair the leak. The Red Cross assisted with relocating evacuees.
This incident follows a natural gas line break that occurred on West Lionshead Circle in Lionshead Village on Aug. 6 after construction workers in the area accidentally hit an underground pipe. Approximately 600 hotel guests and residents were evacuated due to the Aug. 6 leak.
Paul Cuthbertson set out by himself around 3 p.m. Friday from the trailhead that leads up to the Polar Star Inn, according to his father, Mike, but never made it to the popular backcountry hut as a late-spring snowstorm moved in.