Get a carbon monoxide alarm | VailDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Get a carbon monoxide alarm

Lyn Morgan
Vail, CO, Colorado
newsroom@vaildaily.com

The tragic death of a Denver family staying at friends’ home in Aspen over the Thanksgiving holiday reminds us of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. Based on past experiences in emergency medical services, I’ve always kept a carbon monoxide-smoke alarm in my house and travel with a battery powered portable unit that packs in the suitcase.

Years ago my wife and I returned home in Avon from an evening out and our alarm was going off. We discovered the part-time residents who lived below us had pulled their truck into the garage and accidentally left the motor running. The odorless fumes passed directly upwards to our living space. Our alarm prevented a certain family tragedy.

It is not unusual to read about malfunctioning pool heaters in hotels-motels, snow-melt heating units (the possible case in Aspen), faulty exhausts in motor homes, furnaces, space heaters or any other source of carbon monoxide that passes into an unventilated living space.



According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately 500 people die each year and 15,000 emergency room visits result from carbon-monoxide poisoning. Please ensure your family’s safety with a carbon monoxide-smoke alarm.

Lyn Morgan



Avon


Support Local Journalism