Glenwood Canyon fully closed 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. July 27-28
Interstate 70 through Glenwood Canyon will be fully closed from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. for two days next week for helicopter operations associated with the rockfall mitigation project just west of the Hanging Lake Tunnel.
The closures will be Wednesday, July 27, and Thursday, July 28.
The eastbound closure starts at Exit 116 (Glenwood Springs) and the westbound closure starts at Exit 133 (Dotsero). All vehicles must exit. Queuing will not be allowed. The Colorado State Patrol will assist with traffic mitigation.
The Colorado Department of Transportation urges motorists to take alternate routes during the closures.
• Residential access to No Name will be maintained.
• Westbound passenger vehicles should take Colorado 91 at the Copper/Leadville Exit 195 off of I-70 to U.S. 24 (Buena Vista) north on Colorado 82 (Independence Pass/Aspen) to Glenwood Springs. This route is recommended only for vehicles shorter than 35 feet, the length restriction at Independence Pass.
• Passenger vehicles leaving Eagle County should take Colorado 131 at Wolcott to Steamboat Springs, west on U.S. 40 to Craig, then south on Colorado 13 to Rifle and back to I-70. This is a 203-mile alternate route that will take about three hours and 50 minutes to travel. This detour adds 146 miles and about three hours to a regular trip from Wolcott to Rifle on I-70.
• A southern detour is available. Access is on U.S. 50 via Grand Junction for eastbound drivers and for westbound drivers by way of U.S. 24/285 through the Salida area from the Front Range.
• Commercial vehicle parking will be available at Exit 133 (Dotsero). There is an 8-foot width restriction on Colorado 131 and a 12-foot width restriction on Colorado 9 North of I-70. Commercial vehicles are restricted from using Independence Pass at all times. On the Glenwood Springs side of the closure, Colorado State Patrol will be working to stage commercial vehicles on I-70.
• Cottonwood Pass, Frying Pan Road and Hagerman Pass are not recommended alternate routes.
• Bustang service will be operating to and from Glenwood Springs. To view that schedule please visit http://www.ridebustang.com.
• The public information hotline number is (970) 618-1457 or email email@example.com to be added to the email distribution list.
GRAND AVENUE BRIDGE
Monday, July 18, to Friday, July 22: 3-6 a.m. — Expect one-lane closures in each direction on the bridge.
6-9 a.m. — Two lanes on the bridge will be given to upvalley traffic. One lane on the GAB will be given to northbound traffic.
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. — Expect one-lane closures in each direction. The one-lane closures are necessary to stage trucks for setting steel girders over the Colorado River.