Grand Junction dog dies of poisoning | VailDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Grand Junction dog dies of poisoning

GRAND JUNCTION, Colorado – Grand Junction authorities are trying to locate the source of the lethal poison strychnine, blamed for the death of a man’s pet dog.

Lower Valley Fire Protection District Chief Frank Cavaliere says the unidentified man reported that his dog came home with a package of meat, and that the dog later became ill.

The man took the dog to a veterinarian’s office, where it died. The vet attributed the death to strychnine.



Fire officials from Lower Valley and Grand Junction are trying to learn if the strychnine came from 30 pounds of meat, found in an old freezer on private property.

Cavaliere says if that was the source of the poison, the meat might’ve been used as coyote bait.

Participate in The Longevity Project

The Longevity Project is an annual campaign to help educate readers about what it takes to live a long, fulfilling life in our valley. This year Kevin shares his story of hope and celebration of life with his presentation Cracked, Not Broken as we explore the critical and relevant topic of mental health.



Wildlife officials say letting dogs run loose elevates the risk of exposure to such bait.

“””

Information from: The Daily Sentinel, http://www.gjsentinel.com


Support Local Journalism