December 16, 2003
1. A trail map.
2. Adequate clothing and footwear, including rain gear.
3. Drinking water — remember, altitude and physical exercise can dehydrate you.
4. A simple emergency kit, including a compass, area map, flashlight, fire starter, first aid kit, pocket knife, matches in a waterproof container, emergency blanket, whistle and a signaling device, such as a mirror.
5. A trash bag for picking up trash found along the trail. A large plastic trash bag can also become a makeshift rain poncho.
6. Know your limitations and fitness level.