Hurricane Katrina prompts postponement of wildfire conference
Emergency responders from many agencies in Eagle County are currently on standby for deployment to the areas affected by Hurricane Katrina.
The Colorado Mitigation and Wildfire Conference, which was scheduled to be held in Eagle County from September 9-11, has been postponed. Because of the need for emergency personnel to aid in relief work, the number of participants in the conference has been severely depleted.
Thus, it has been decided that the conference will now take place April 21-23, 2006.
Many other people have expressed interest in responding to help but until mechanisms are in place to coordinate such assistance people are being encouraged not to respond to the affected areas.
NOTE: Charity scams are abundant…..be safe…..
visit this website for more information….http://www.give.org/.
Blood donations: Visit the Bonfils Blood Center’s website at http://www.bonfils.org to find out where to donate blood or look in the phone book for a location nearest you. Please call for an appointment.
Salvation Army: To donate to the Salvation Army, call 1-800-SAL-ARMY (725-2769)
Red Cross: To make a financial donation to the victims on Hurricane Katrina or to volunteer, call the Eagle County Chapter at (970) 328-3044.
Hot Line for Mississippi – Relatives can call to check on relatives: 866-438-4649.
– AmeriCares, Americares.org, 800-486-4357
– America’s Second Harvest, SecondHarvest.org, 800-771-2303
– Catholic Charities USA, CatholicCharitiesUSA.org, 303-742-0828
– Feed the Children, FeedTheChildren.org, 800-627-4556
– Humane Society of the United States, HSUS.org, 202-452-1100 or 303-781-4418
– United Jewish Communities, UJC.org, 303-322-8328
– United Methodist Committee on Relief, UMCOR.org, 800-554-8583 ###
Support Local Journalism
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User