Judge delays Bryant’s court appearance to Nov. 13 | VailDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Judge delays Bryant’s court appearance to Nov. 13

EAGLE – The judge in the Kobe Bryant sexual assault case rescheduled the NBA star’s first appearance in state district court to Nov. 13, granting a request by prosecutors who cited a scheduling conflict.The Los Angeles Lakers guard had been scheduled to appear before state District Judge Terry Ruckriegle on Nov. 10.The hearing is expected to last only a few minutes, during which Bryant will be advised of his rights, the charge against him and the possible penalty of four years to life in prison or 20 years to life on probation. Bryant also could enter a plea.District Attorney Mark Hurlbert last week asked to postpone the hearing for two weeks, saying he and assistant prosecutor Ingrid Bakke had prior engagements on Nov. 10 that could not be changed.They did not know about the engagements when they agreed to the Nov. 10 date, deputy prosecutor Greg Crittenden said.Ruckriegle said he discussed the matter in a conference call with the defense and prosecutors, and said Bryant’s attorneys did not object to delaying the hearing for three days.The Lakers have home games on Nov. 12 and Nov. 14. They play at Memphis on Nov. 10.Bryant, 25, is charged with felony sexual assault. The Los Angeles Lakers guard is accused of raping a 19-year-old hotel worker June 30 at the Lodge & Spa at Cordillera in Edwards. He has said the two had consensual sex.Earlier Tuesday, prosecutors said they do not object to having cameras in the courtroom for the hearing as requested by Court TV and The Associated Press. Ruckriegle has not yet ruled on the request.Cameras were allowed in the courtroom when Bryant made his first appearance before Eagle County Judge Frederick Gannett, who later cited court rules in prohibiting cameras in the courtroom during Bryant’s preliminary hearing.


Support Local Journalism