La Tour Restaurant hosts Maisons Marques & Domaines wine dinner, Sept. 29
If you go …
What: Maisons Marques & Domaines wine dinner, featuring 10 wines from five countries.
When: 5-9:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 29.
Where: La Tour Restaurant & Bar, 122 E. Meadow Drive, Vail Village.
Cost: Five-course dinner with two wine pairings with each course is $110, plus tax and gratuity; dinner without the wine pairings is $55.
More information: Call 970-476-4403 for reservations.
• First course — Main lobster with butternut squash and pumpkin seeds, paired with NV Roederer Estate, Brut Rosé, Anderson Valley, California, and 2007 Roederer Estate, L’Ermitage Brut, Anderson Valley, California.
• Second course — Foie gras mousse with palisade plums and ginger snap, paired with 2014 Domaines Schlumberger, Pinot Gris “Les Princes Abbés,” Alsace, France, and 2007 Domaines Schlumberger, Pinot Gris Grand Cru “Speigal,” Alsace, France.
• Third course — Wild boar with polenta and porcini, paired with 2013 Castiglion Del Bosco, Rosso di Montalcino, Montalcino, Italy, and 2011 Castiglion Del Bosco, Brunello di Montalcino, Montalcino, Italy.
• Fourth course — Venison with dates and hazelnuts, paired with 2011 Marqués de Murrieta, Reserva, Rioja, Spain, and 2007 Marqués de Murrieta, Castillo Ygay Grand Reserva Especial, Rioja, Spain.
• Dessert course — Pudim abade de priscos, paired with Ramos Pinto, Tawny Superior, Douro, Portugal, and Ramos Pinto, 20 Year Tawny, Douro, Portugal.
VAIL — Sommelier and Rocky Mountain regional manager of Maisons Marques & Domaines Roland Herrmann will host a food and wine experience at La Tour Restaurant & Bar in Vail Village on Thursday.
The event tours five countries with 10 total wine pairings to entertain every palate, from the novice to the sophisticated. Each course of the seasonal meal will be paired with two wines from the Maisons Marques & Domaines portfolio, with introductions by Herrmann from 6:30 to 8 p.m.
Originally from Texas, Herrmann has 20-plus years of experience in the restaurant business. He has opened more than 15 restaurants around the country for renowned chefs such as Joachim Splichal from Patina in Los Angeles, Steven Pyles from Star Canyon in Texas and Allen Sternweiler, Dean Zanella and Susie Crofton in Chicago.
Herrmann has worked throughout the United States, including Los Angeles, San Francisco, Phoenix, Chicago, Washington, D.C., Las Vegas and Hawaii. His experience includes a year in the wine trade, four in distribution management and 13 as an importer representing one of the most prestigious portfolios in the industry (Cristal, Dominus, Petrus, Pichon Lalande, Ott and Pio Cesare). Herrmann is a certified sommelier and has traveled extensively throughout wine regions of the world.
Maisons Marques & Domaines is owned by Louis Roederer, one of the original Champagne houses and one of a select few that have been family-owned for their entire history. Roederer also owns several prestigious properties, such as Pichon-Lalande in Bordeaux, Domaines Ott in Provence, Delas in the Rhone Valley and Roederer Estate & Scharffenberger Cellars in California.
Maisons Marques & Domaines also imports wines from a few other select families, including Petrus and other right bank chateau of Christian Moueix, Pio Cesare in Italy, Domaines Schlumberger in Alsace, and Meerlust in South Africa.