Landscape Logic: Create curb appeal
Vail, CO Colorado
Here are five things to think about in terms of what your landscape brings to your home’s worth, the environment and your own well-being.
Landscaping can add as much as 15 percent to the resale value of a building and speed up its sale as much as six weeks. Each dollar spent on landscaping can return as much as $1.35 when the home is sold. Conversely, homes with poor landscapes can expect a sales price 8 percent to 10 percent below equivalent homes that have good landscape appeal.
• Carefully selected and placed trees around your home can lower cooling costs as much as 25 percent.
• Shading the air-conditioning unit can increase its effectiveness by 10 percent.
• Planting ground covers, shrubs and lawns reduces the heat reflected from the ground and onto walls and windows for a cooler indoors and more energy savings.
Support Local Journalism
Water and maintenance used to keep plants healthy doesn’t go down the drain. Did you know:
• An average tree absorbs 26 pounds of carbon dioxide from the air each year. That equals 11,000 miles of car emissions.
• The front lawns of eight houses have the cooling effect of about 70 tons of air conditioning. That’s amazing when you consider that the average home has an air conditioner with just a three- or four-ton capacity.
• Turf grass also serves as a natural filter to reduce pollution by purifying the water passing through its root zone.
• The amount spent on growing a veggie garden brings back seven to 10 times the initial investment in your own locally grown produce.
• You can burn as many calories in 45 minutes of gardening as in 30 minutes of aerobics.
• Weed for just one hour, and you burn 300 calories.
• Studies have shown that women recover from breast-cancer surgery more quickly if they spend time in a garden.
• Children with attention deficit disorder have been found to have better focus and concentration when they are allowed to play outdoors in green spaces.
And on the purely personal level found in your own back yard, there’s no better ambiance than dining al fresco, especially if you grew the salad and used your own home-grown herbs to flavor the main course. That value is priceless!
Becky Garber a is member of the Associated Landscape Contractors of Colorado, of which Neils Lunceford, a landscaping company, is a member. You may contact them at 970-409-8945.