Mexican father and son die, bringing to 10 number of deaths from poisonous mushrooms | VailDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Mexican father and son die, bringing to 10 number of deaths from poisonous mushrooms

TUXTLA GUTIERREZ, Mexico – A 7-year-old boy and his father died Friday, bringing to 10 the number of Indian family members killed after eating poisonous mushrooms in Mexico’s southernmost Chiapas state.All 10, from the community of Tenejapa, had eaten a soup made with wild mushrooms gathered deep in the mountains of Chiapas. Eight other relatives died earlier in the week, including two whose deaths on Thursday in the city of San Cristobal were not announced until Friday. The 11th member, a 69-year-old man who did not eat the soup, was OK, authorities said.Wild mushrooms flourish during the rainy season in the rural forests and jungles of Chiapas, and are a common dietary staple for mostly Indian families. But recent genetic mutations have made some forms of mushrooms consumed for years in Indian communities newly poisonous, officials say.Authorities have been inspecting open-air food markets, collecting all mushrooms sold there to prevent further deaths.Medical officials said the type of venom contained in the mushrooms ingested by the family had immediate and severe effects on the liver, making it difficult for doctors to help them.In July 2005 alone, nine Indians died after eating wild mushrooms in the Chiapas community of Polho.


Support Local Journalism


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User