Missing hikers found alive in Vail Valley | VailDaily.com

Missing hikers found alive in Vail Valley

Lauren Glendenning
Vail, CO Colorado
Special to the Vail Daily/Eagle County Sheriff's Office

VAIL VALLEY, Colorado – A Colorado National Guard Blackhawk helicopter found two missing hikers in Reeds Meadow, west of the Mount of the Holy Cross summit, around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday.

The two men, Andy Westergard and Bill Hird, both in their 40’s and from Michigan, went missing around 3:30 p.m. Monday when they were last seen at about 13,500 feet, hiking toward the summit of the mountain. The men never returned to their campsite and another hiker at the campsite reported them missing.

Westergard and Hird left their cell phones at the campsite so they could not call for help. The men were tired and a little dehydrated when rescuers found them, but they were not injured, said Shannon Cordingly, Eagle County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman.

The men had more gear with them than rescuers originally thought, Cordingly said. They likely went missing as they descended from the summit and lost sight of the ridgeline, she said. As search and rescue teams looked for them, they were also moving around, which make the search more difficult, she said.

“We were kind of circling each other,” Cordingly said.

Vail Mountain Rescue Group advises anyone who gets lost in the backcountry to stay put and retrace your route back toward the trailhead until you pick up the trail or find someone who knows the area. If you cannot retrace your route, stay put, conserve energy and water, make yourself visible and await rescue.

Eight different agencies helped with the search and rescue operations – The Eagle County Sheriff’s Office, Vail Mountain Rescue Group, the Colorado National Guard High Altitude Aviation Training Center, Summit County Rescue Group, Douglas County Search and Rescue Team, Larimer County Search and Rescue, Teller County Search and Rescue and El Paso County Search and Rescue.

The search and rescue began around 8 a.m. Tuesday and ended at 5 p.m. Tuesday. The search resumed at 7:45 a.m. Wednesday, when the Colorado National Guard High Altitude Aviation Training Center helicopter located the men.

Support Local Journalism

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User