Montrose man critically hurt when home explodes | VailDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Montrose man critically hurt when home explodes

MONTROSE, Colorado ” A Montrose man is hospitalized in critical condition after a propane heater in his rental home exploded when he lit a cigarette.

The blast occurred shortly before 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Seventy-six-year-old Lewie Wilson was taken to a Montrose hospital, then flown to North Colorado Medical Center in Greeley.



Montrose fire Chief Bob Pistor says Wilson had installed a used propane heater in the home Monday night but couldn’t get it to work. The property’s owner, Les Cook, visited the home Tuesday and noticed a strong smell of gas.

Pistor says Cook told Wilson to open up the windows while he turned off the gas. The house blew up moments later.



Wilson’s dog also survived the blast and fire.

Damage is estimated at $71,000.


Support Local Journalism


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User