Obama’s slip means he’s human, Vail teen says | VailDaily.com

Obama’s slip means he’s human, Vail teen says

Jillian Kiss
Special to the Daily
Vail, CO Colorado

So today was an extremely early day, we had to get up at 3:30 a.m. because we had to be on the bus at 4:30 a.m. to go to the inauguration. It was really hard to get up, but it was definitely worth it.

Although we watched it all on a Jumbotron, the inauguration was still a lot of fun. At first we didn’t understand why we had to get up so early, but when we saw how crowded it was, we completely understood. It was just a sea of people, and there were so many Porta-Potties that they lined the perimeter of the National Mall.

It took a while for the inauguration to get started, but that just gave us time to get settled into our spot. There were many long speeches before Obama’s speech, including speeches by Denzel Washington, Jack Black and Queen Latifah These speeches were actually the introductions to the acts in the concert at the Lincoln Memorial, but we didn’t go to that.

After the recording of the concert, the inauguration finally got started. We watched all the important people and celebrities enter. Then, we watched the anthem sung and next was the swearing in. I thought that it was kind of cool that Obama did mess up a little because it showed that he was human too, and that even he gets nervous.

By the time the inauguration was over, we were all freezing, despite the sun, and wanted to get on the nice, warm bus as soon as possible. It actually wasn’t that bad, it was just standing in it that long made us all pretty cold.

After a pretty long walk fighting through the crowd, we finally got to the bus where we had the relief of sitting down after about eight hours of standing. We ate our box lunches as our toes and fingers thawed out.

We got back to the hotel at about 4 p.m. and had about two and a half hours to get ready for the ball. I had a nice, hot shower to finish thawing me out from the cold. Then, my roommates and I helped each other get dressed.

When it was finally time to head down, we were joined by other girls and walked in beautiful dresses to the hotel ballroom. We stopped in the lobby to catch up with our friends so we could enter with them.

After a three-course, sit-down dinner, the dancing finally got started. The sights and sounds of the dance were overwhelming, everywhere there where girls in beautiful dresses dancing with each other or guys in tuxes.

Before we knew it, it was 9:30 p.m. and time to head up to our rooms craving for more. As soon as we got to our rooms, however, all the energy was just drained from our systems as we got ready for bed as quick as possible so we could get our beauty sleep after our big day.

Today was a lot of fun because we finally got time to do some souvenir shopping and didn’t have to get up super early. We only had to get up at about 5:15 a.m.-ish, which does sound really early, but is actually sleeping in a while for People to People.

After breakfast at Union Station, we went to the International Spy Museum, which is really cool because you pick your own alias and take tests along the way to see how well you remember your identity. They also have James Bond’s actual car and a section where you decode messages. There’s also a vent that you can crawl through like in the movies.

After the Spy Museum, we went across the street for some souvenir shopping. The store we went to had so many souvenirs, it was unimaginable. I got a shot glass, tee-shirts, hats, scarves, magnets, key chains, and a purse for souvenirs ” most of which were Obama-themed.

After waiting in line to pay, we boarded the bus again to head to the Newseum. Along the way, however, we got a flat and had to walk the remainder of the way. Thankfully, it was only a few blocks, but we were still going to be late for our appointment there.

There were some really interesting things at the Newseum, like a chunk of the Berlin Wall, a tower from the original Check Point Charlie, a piece from one of the World Trade towers, and an exhibit where you pretend to be a reporter. We also did some more souvenir shopping in the gift shop at the Newseum. I got a foam microphone and a stuffed dog dressed like a reporter.

Later, we toured the National Archives and then went to dinner at a French restaurant. When we were all finished eating, we headed back to the hotel to say our final goodbyes as it was the last night. We all couldn’t believe that it was already the last night and were sad to have to say goodbye.

We took lots of pictures with each other to savor memories of each other. We also exchanged contact info so we could stay in touch. After awhile, the leaders had to go to their nightly meeting so they had to kick us out of the lobby and tell us to go to our rooms and pack.


Support Local Journalism