Vail Daily obituary: Jean Achille Marcellot
December 1, 2016
Dr. Jean (John) Marcellot passed away at Vail Valley Medical Center Nov. 10, 2016, from cardiac and pulmonary disease. He graduated from Lyon Medical School in France, and was in the French Army Medical Corp. in the Algerian War. He was wounded in combat.
John completed his residency in orthopedic surgery at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island, and began his private practice in northern Rhode Island. He specialized in sports medicine and total replacements.
He lived a long and rewarding life. John was an avid adventurer in sports and life. He was a glider pilot, watercolor painter, avid traveler and enjoyed tennis, hiking, and biking. His greatest passions were skiing and golf. He was a multiple ski champion in his age group at regional and national events in the Masters program, and a member of Ski & Snowboard Club Vail.
John was one of the very early orthopedic surgeons to sign on as a U.S. Ski Team physician. He traveled with the national skiers in events worldwide. He lived with a joie de vivre beyond compare.
He is survived by his wife of 40 years, Melanna Marcellot, son Adam Marcellot, of Denver, daughter Karen Lane, son Michel Marcellot, of Seekonk, Massachusetts, son in law Todd Lane and grandson Calder Lane, all from Las Vegas. He leaves many nieces and nephews.
Contributions may be made to the Ski & Snowboard Club Vail in his honor.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Vail Resorts, local business groups announce Merchant Pass options for 2018-19
- Skier captures early season Loveland Pass avalanche on video
- A community battles back: Vail rallies around rebuilding what terrorists destroyed in 1998 fire
- Bear sighting in Avon, video captured in resident’s backyard
- Two people, a dog injured after vehicle crashes through garage in Edwards