Obituary: Bear Johnson, Sept. 5, 1936, to Feb. 10, 2018
March 9, 2018
With a lifelong passion for skiing and sailing, fine rum and propagating exquisite roses, the Bear (David) moved to San Juan Island, Washington, in 1982 from the ski slopes of Vail, where Bear's Bowl Patrol gained fame.
A graduate of Michigan State with a degree in landscape and horticulture, he ski patrolled at Nubs Nob, Michigan, plus at Sunlight and Aspen Highlands in Colorado. He was active in both the Friday Harbor Sailing Club and the S.J.I. Yacht Club.
His wife, Mitzi (S.J.I.), son Ken and daughter-in-law Alexandra (Seattle), grandson Benjamin (Baltimore), daughter Lisa and son-in-law Dave "Hammer" Hammond, granddaughter Keegan (Alabama) and two brothers in Texas and Louisiana are greatly appreciative of his hospice workers and the kind support of their island friends.
Per Bear's wishes, there will be no memorial service.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Instead of 32 years in prison, Leadville woman sentenced to two years probation
- Vail Valley developers proposing hundreds of new apartments in Eagle
- Harley Higbie, the last living member of Vail’s founding board of directors, has died
- Vail Pass reopens eastbound at I-70 mile marker 180 (East Vail)
- Village Bagel opens storefront in Edwards