Obituary: Bear Johnson, Sept. 5, 1936, to Feb. 10, 2018
March 9, 2018
With a lifelong passion for skiing and sailing, fine rum and propagating exquisite roses, the Bear (David) moved to San Juan Island, Washington, in 1982 from the ski slopes of Vail, where Bear's Bowl Patrol gained fame.
A graduate of Michigan State with a degree in landscape and horticulture, he ski patrolled at Nubs Nob, Michigan, plus at Sunlight and Aspen Highlands in Colorado. He was active in both the Friday Harbor Sailing Club and the S.J.I. Yacht Club.
His wife, Mitzi (S.J.I.), son Ken and daughter-in-law Alexandra (Seattle), grandson Benjamin (Baltimore), daughter Lisa and son-in-law Dave "Hammer" Hammond, granddaughter Keegan (Alabama) and two brothers in Texas and Louisiana are greatly appreciative of his hospice workers and the kind support of their island friends.
Per Bear's wishes, there will be no memorial service.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Taft Conlin’s parents appealing son’s Vail skier death case, saying judges erred in several rulings before and during trial
- Accused murderer Jacob White scheduled to plead and be sentenced Friday, Sept. 21, in Catherine Kelley case
- Police in the Vail Valley try to offer help to people who are panhandling
- Rancher cries as jury exonerates her
- Brake fire closes Interstate 70 at East Vail, burns landscaping material Monday morning, Sept. 17