Obituary: Mary Ethel Arnold Ward, Jan. 9, 1918, to April 21, 2018
April 24, 2018
Mary Ethel Arnold Ward went home surrounded by loved ones on Saturday, April 21. She was born to Georgia Ann Todd Arnold and Eliga Arnold on Jan. 9, 1918, in Gravette, Arkansas.
The fourth of five children, she married Ralph Ward on May 31, 1934. They had eight children (four boys and four girls), 24 grandchildren and a house full of great- and great-great-grandchildren.
Mary and Ralph and their five oldest children came to Burns in 1942.
They lived and worked on several ranches in both Eagle and Garfield counties, including the Albertson Ranch, Gates Ranch, Kaiser Ranch and Buster Brown Ranch, before retiring on the Mable Harness Ranch in Silt.
Mary was preceded in death by her parents; her husband of 49 1/2 years; her brothers and sisters; a daughter, Georgia Ann Ward; three sons, Frank Ward, Jimmie Ward and an infant son; two sons-in-law, Hoot Terry and Robert Klein; and daughter-in-law Patricia Ward.
She is survived by son Willis Ward, of Gravette, Arkansas; three daughters, Wanda Terry, of Silt, Susie (Bill) Ellis, of Taloga, Oklahoma, Berta Klein, of Silt, and daughter-in-law Bonnie, of Gypsum.
Mary celebrated her 100th birthday on Jan. 6, 2018, with more than 70 relatives and friends.
Services will be held Friday, April 27, at 11 a.m. at the Rifle Funeral Home.
She will be buried next to her husband at Rosebud Cemetery in Glenwood Springs.
Rifle Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Flowers may be sent to the funeral home.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Catherine Kelley’s murderer pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman, says he ‘hates’ what he did
- Dry weather prompts local, federal officials to put Eagle County back under fire restrictions, Stage 1
- Eagle County knows finding affordable housing solutions never gets easier
- Everybody sing, ‘Sweet Caroline,’ as Battle Mountain volleyball beats Eagle Valley
- Tamra Nottingham Underwood, fourth generation resident, running for council in Avon