Obituary: Matthew Lloyd Smith, June 6, 1981, to Dec. 28, 2017
January 3, 2018
Matthew Lloyd Smith, born June 6, 1981, in Aspen, passed due to an auto accident on Dec. 28, 2017. He grew up on McCabe Ranch in Snowmass, where he learned about ranching and polo. Matt was a dedicated rancher throughout his life.
Matthew graduated from Basalt High School in 1999, and then attended Northeastern Junior College and earned an associate's degree in production agriculture in 2001. He was also a welder, certified in structural steel. He was very proud of the work he did in Alaska in 2003 and 2005 as an AT&T Alascom installer and tower climber, he completed the work enjoying the challenges.
In 2004, Matt attended the Colorado State University Farrier School, where he met his beloved wife, Lyndsay Jo. They married on Sept. 2, 2006, and they continued ranching as a couple. He also enjoyed his leatherwork, rawhide braiding, ranch ropings and was very proud of his bridle horses.
He is survived by his wife, Lyndsay Jo (Hackman); his parents, Donald and Lynette Smith; grandmother Carolyn Foley; brother Andrew (Katie); a niece and two nephews.
A memorial service will be held at the Garfield County Fairgrounds on Friday, Jan. 5, at high noon, followed by a gathering at Wing Nutz Bar and Grill. The family is requesting donations be mailed to the Matt Smith Donation Account at the First Bank of Avon, P.O. Box 5270, Avon, CO 81620, in lieu of food and/or flowers.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Vail Resorts, local business groups announce Merchant Pass options for 2018-19
- Skier captures early season Loveland Pass avalanche on video
- Bear sighting in Avon, video captured in resident’s backyard
- A community battles back: Vail rallies around rebuilding what terrorists destroyed in 1998 fire
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack