Vail Daily obituary: Dale C. Stout, 1929-2013
June 18, 2013
Dale Stout, known as "Spike" in his younger days, died on Sunday after suffering a major stroke two months earlier. He died in the Arkansas Valley Medical Center in La Junta.
Dale was born April 20, 1929, in Sweetwater, right above Gypsum, to his parents, Charles Frederick Stout and Edna Winningham Stout. He lived in Gypsum and was married to Bertha Cunningham.
He worked his adult life at the sawmill in Eagle until it was closed and has asked for a trim saw to be engraved in his headstone.
Dale was preceded in death by Bertha; his parents; and siblings Ira, Roy, Rex, Leo, Richard, Myrtle and Clarissa. He is survived by his step-daughter Donna O'Donnell and sisters Georgia Bowen, Mary Bennett, and Hazel Raebel.
Dale spent his later years in Rocky Ford with his second wife, Lorraine, who preceded him in death.
He was blessed with a caregiver, Penny Dunford, who was a great help to him for many years. He enjoyed going to lunch at SAGE Services and made many good friends there.
Graveside services will be held at Cedar Hill Cemetery in Gypsum on Wednesday at 11 a.m.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Edwards man comes face to face with mountain lion Tuesday night
- Vail Resorts shakeup: Beth Howard to replace Doug Lovell as Vail Mountain COO
- Arapahoe Basin cuts ties with Vail Resorts, unlikely to join Ikon Pass
- Skier killed in avalanche near Telluride
- Skier rushed from Beaver Creek, pronounced dead at 85