Vail Daily obituary: Jean Achille Marcellot, 1927-2016
November 16, 2016
Dr. Jean ( John) Marcellot passed away at Vail Valley Medical Center on Nov. 10 from cardiac and pulmonary disease. He graduated from Lyon Medical School in France, and was in the French Army Medical Corps in the Algerian War. He was wounded in combat. John completed his residency in orthopedic surgery at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island, and began his private practice in northern Rhode Island. He specialized in sports medicine and total replacements. He lived a long and rewarding life. John was an avid adventurer in sports and life. He was a glider pilot, watercolor painter, avid traveler and enjoyed tennis, hiking and biking. His greatest passions were skiing and golf. He was a multiple ski champion in his age group at regional and national events in the masters program, and a member of Ski and Snowboard Club Vail.
John was one of the very early orthopedic surgeons to sign on as a US Ski Team physician. He travelled with the national skiers in events worldwide. He lived with a "joie de vivre" beyond compare.
He is survived by his wife of 40 years, Melanna Marcellot; son Adam Marcellot, of Denver; daughter Karen Lane; son-in-law Todd Lane; and grandson Calder Lane, all from Las Vegas. He leaves many nieces and nephews.
Contributions may be made to the Ski & Snowboard Club Vail in his honor.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Vail Resorts CEO Rob Katz gives $2 million in grants to support mental health programs
- Russian spammers the likely source of fake email bomb threats, IT experts say
- Trust your gut: Man at center of I-70 stabbing incident warns public
- Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats and Shakey Graves to headline Vail Snow Days
- Vail Valley businesses need lots of seasonal help: there are 1,600 job openings