Vail Daily obituary: Joyce Gedelman-Viers, 1948-2016
February 9, 2016
Joyce Gedelman-Viers was born on Jan. 1, 1948, and quietly slipped away at home on Groundhog Day, Feb. 2, (which Joyce would have found humorous) after a long-fought battle with cancer.
Joyce is survived by her husband, Lyle Viers; sister, Carol French; brother-in law, Jerry French; nephew, Matthew French; niece, Jennifer Napier; and her beloved poodle, Macallen (Mac).
She was born in Detroit, and after graduating from Alma College, Joyce moved to Vail for the year in 1972, but like many others, she never left. Joyce worked in the hospitality and sales field for many years. As an avid outdoors person, her recreations were hiking, tennis and skiing.
Heartfelt thanks go out to all the friends who helped with food and conversations along the way. A special thanks goes to the staff at Shaw Regional Cancer Center and Vail Hospice. In lieu of flowers, please make donations to Shaw Regional Cancer Center.
A celebration of life will be scheduled at a later date.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Vail Resorts, local business groups announce Merchant Pass options for 2018-19
- Skier captures early season Loveland Pass avalanche on video
- A community battles back: Vail rallies around rebuilding what terrorists destroyed in 1998 fire
- Bear sighting in Avon, video captured in resident’s backyard
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack