Vail Daily obituary: Phillip Roger Bartoe, 1941-2016
November 16, 2016
Phillip Roger Bartoe, of Edwards, passed away Oct. 23 at home after a long battle with cancer.
He was born July 27, 1941, in Nelsonville, Ohio. He is preceded in death by his parents, Maxwell and Frieda (Hicks) Bartoe and a sister, Billy Shuck of Naples, Florida.
Phil is survived by his wife, Gail Kennedy-Bartoe, of Edwards; his son, Phillip Bartoe, Jr., of Gainesville, Georgia; two daughters, Teresa Levicki of Capitola, California, and Renee Bartoe of Rocklin, California; six grandchildren; and a sister, Jeanine Cox of Fresno, California.
Phil served in the U.S. Marine Corps from 1960 to 1963 and the Marine Corps Reserve from 1963 to 1966. He was employed as supervisor at A.M. Lewis Co., a grocers warehouse in Northridge, California, and later owned a real estate company. Phil moved to Vail in 1998 and was the caretaker for Meadow Vail Place until he retired. Phil and Gail were married on their farm outside Cody, Wyoming, in 2003. He spent a great amount of time at the farm which he truly loved. He enjoyed yard work, planting trees, gardening and home improvement and repairs. There wasn't a motor on anything that he couldn't fix. Phil's greatest passion was riding his motorcycle with his buddies, his nephew Court Butler, and best friend, Mike Krohn. Phil had a great sense of humor and had no trouble keeping his friends laughing. He was a proud Marine and will be missed by all that knew him. Semper Fi — always faithful. A celebration of Phil's life will take place at a later date.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Former Vail Valley arts patron Alberto Vilar trying to enjoy what’s left of his life after 10-year prison stint
- Loveland man dies in East Vail crash. No one else injured in Sunday evening accident
- Town of Vail likely to change short-term rental regulations in response to complaints
- Aspen girl speaks out in video about alleged rape
- Comedians Steve Martin and Martin Short to perform at Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater in Vail