Vail Daily obituary: Walter Ross Smith, 1925-2016
September 8, 2016
Walter Ross Smith, formerly of Edwards, passed away peacefully in Wheat Ridge at the age of 91.
Walter was the only child of Walter and Catherine Smith. He grew up on City Island, New York. Walter graduated from the Columbia School of Engineering in 1950 and, beginning in 1951, served in active duty in the United States Navy. He continued his service in the Navy reserves until 1969, attaining the rank of lieutenant commander.
In August of 1962, he married Eleanor Heller and they moved to Stamford, Connecticut, where they raised two daughters, Allison and Nancy. They enjoyed skiing in Vermont and summer vacations on Nantucket Island, Massachusetts.
Walter worked for many years in New York City as a civil engineer. In 1980, he joined Vail Associates during the development of Beaver Creek ski area. After his job with Vail Associates had run its course, he semi-retired. Many know him from working in the photo and electronics departments at Wal-Mart in Avon.
Walter was preceded in death by his wife, Eleanor, in 1996. He is survived by his two daughters, Allison Ransom and her husband, Ken, of Glenwood Springs, and Nancy Mires, her husband, Jim, and two granddaughters, Emily and Madaket Mires, of Eagle.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack
- Vail Resorts, local business groups announce Merchant Pass options for 2018-19
- Skier captures early season Loveland Pass avalanche on video
- Bear sighting in Avon, video captured in resident’s backyard
- A community battles back: Vail rallies around rebuilding what terrorists destroyed in 1998 fire