Vail Daily obituary: Warren R. Jacobson, 1922-2013
Warren R. Jacobson was born on Oct. 4, 1922, in Denver to Clarence and Ester Jacobson. In 1927, the family homesteaded in the Critchel area of Colorado.
Warren graduated from Wheat Ridge High School. He attended the Colorado School of Mines and the University of Colorado School of Medicine, graduating as a M.D. in 1946. Warren served an internship at Harper Hospital in Detroit and a residency in pediatrics at Children’s Hospital of Michigan.
While serving in the army, he was assigned to the United Nations as a military observer in Palestine in 1948 and 1949. He is a lieutenant colonel U.S. Air Force Reserve, retired. In 1952, he was a ship physician traveling to Chile and the Caribbean. In October 1952, Warren started a pediatric practice in Grand Junction. He was the first pediatrician in the Western Slope, and for many years the only one. In 1973, he was president of the Mesa County Medical Society.
Deciding on a change of pace after 20 years of practice, in 1972 Warren attended UCLA, obtaining a degree as Master of Public Health.
During the 1970s, Warren was the director of the health departments in Mesa County and Omaha, Neb.
Following his long love of the mountains since homesteading, in 1981 Warren bought a large cattle ranch in Eagle and Garfield counties. He maintained this until his death.
In 1953, Warren married Marian Reus and had three children, Eric Jacobson, Jana Jacobson and Kirsten Lerner; 10 grandchildren, Soleil, Ambra and Winter Jacobson, Amory and Hunter Franz, and Jacob, Lane, Tom, Eli and Cy Lerner. Warren also has three surviving sisters, Winifred Catlin, Ruth Stevens and Jeannette Hill.
In 1993, Warren married Lislott Anderson; she survives him.
He belonged to many organizations, including the American Medical Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the Colorado Medical Society, the U.S. Public Health Association, Rotary and the Colorado Cattlemen.
Memorial services will be held Sunday at 10 a.m. at the Callahan-Edfast Mortuary at 2515 Patterson Road in Grand Junction.