On the Hill: Honoring Jimmie Heuga on Vail Mountain
February 8, 2014
VIDEO: Vail Daily reporter John LaConte delivers his daily GoPro conditions report while snowboarding down Jimmie Heuga Express at Vail.
On the Hill is shot with a GoScope Extreme 2X Telescoping pole mount, get 30% off your order at Go-Scope.com by using the following promo code: goscopevaildaily
Vail official report: 1 inch new snow and 13 inches in last week as of 5 a.m.
Weather: Cloudy, windy and snowing on and off
Recommended Stories For You
Liftline status: Busy
Run of the day: Jimmie Heuga Express (formerly Simba Run)
Breakdown: The back bowls and Blue Sky are closed once again, and on a busy Saturday, that means crowds at the front-side lifts. And it’s not just the back side, even Chair 26 was closed for an hour or so this morning. You know when there’s a line at Chair 8, it’s busy at Vail. Despite all the crowds, though, the top part of Simba run, often called “Racer Simba,” doesn’t have a single person on it, and part of the run is groomed, with the other part a wide open powder field. The run has been renamed “Jimmie Heuga Express” for today – both in support of MS and in honor of the 50th anniversary of the ski racer’s bronze medal at the ’64 Olympics – so it’s a great day to ride it.
Snowcast: The National Weather Service says it should continue snowing through Monday
Trending In: On The Hill
- Trust your gut: Man at center of I-70 stabbing incident warns public
- Vail Resorts CEO Rob Katz gives $2 million in grants to support mental health programs
- Russian spammers the likely source of fake email bomb threats, IT experts say
- Beaver Creek extends hours, opens more terrain Saturday
- Colorado Parks and Wildlife arrests 2 Florida men for poaching after anonymous tip