On the Hill: Surfing the mythical Big Sur wave
June 5, 2014
Today’s activity: Surfing the Big Sur wave in Debeque Canyon with pro stand-up paddler and kayaker Ken Hoeve.
Conditions: The high runoff is producing fantastic conditions for river runners across Colorado. In Debeque Canyon near Grand Junction, the Big Sur standing wave has reappeared on the Colorado River for the first time since 2011. It forms when the water is running above 20,000 cfs, and it’s now at 26,000 cfs.
Today’s weather: Mostly sunny, with a high near 63. South southeast wind 5 to 15 mph becoming west northwest in the afternoon. — National Weather Service
Trending In: On The Hill
- Vail Resorts, local business groups announce Merchant Pass options for 2018-19
- Skier captures early season Loveland Pass avalanche on video
- Two people, a dog injured after vehicle crashes through garage in Edwards
- A community battles back: Vail rallies around rebuilding what terrorists destroyed in 1998 fire
- Bear sighting in Avon, video captured in resident’s backyard