One hospitalized when platform collapses during Aspen fireworks
Vail, CO, Colorado
ASPEN – Two people were hurt and one was taken to the hospital after the unloading platform at the top of the Lift 1A chair on Aspen Mountain apparently collapsed during Sunday night’s fireworks show.
The Pitkin County Sheriff’s Office released a terse statement, and an emergency dispatcher said no other information was available last night.
Someone called 911 around 9:30 p.m., saying “a balcony with six people on it [had] collapsed,” the statement says. “Pitkin County deputies, Aspen volunteer firefighters and Aspen EMS responded to the scene at the top of ‘Lift 1A’ on the face of Aspen Mountain,” the statement says.
Two people “were injured, and one was transported to Aspen Valley Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries,” the statement says. “It was determined that the ‘balcony’ was actually the unloading platform of the top of the chairlift.”